Repeat after me – Chamomile blended with any form of camellia sinensis leaves will not enhance your sleep! Say that again and remember it while next time you go grocery shopping and reload on your chamomile tea. Why? Lets start from the beginning.
Since civilisations emerged, the chamomile flowers have been known to mankind for myriads of benefits. From the Germans to Egyptians to the Chinese and Ancient Romans, the chamomile flower has boasted tremendous number of uses like in tea, salves, creams, incenses and other beverages, from treating skin conditions and soothing it. In modern world, chamomile is used as additives into lotions, medicines, soaps, perfumes, and culinary world like teas and tisanes. The floral aroma and apple taste makes for a very relaxing light brew.
Today, Chamomile tea is most popularly known to enhance sleep quality. With fast paced stressful lives, Chamomile also comes in handy in managing restlessness, anxiety and a mild insomnia. It is also known to help with jet lags and soothe period cramps. All in all, chamomile is a comfort drink, especially those dealing with restlessness.
But there’s a catch. Often, chamomile is blended with green tea or black tea. You may have to keep a look out for that. Why? Green tea or black tea, that is camellia sinensis leaves, have natural caffeine in it. Caffeine keeps you up, alert & active. This means that camellia sinensis leaves counter the effects of chamomile flowers. It ruins the entire purpose of drinking chamomile tea. This type of chamomile tea, which are blended with camellia sinensis leaves, should not be had at night time as the caffeine content may interrupt and even keep you from falling asleep. Such kind of blunders happen due to lack of awareness & expertise, both, in tea makers and customers alike.
To get the right kind of chamomile tea, looking at labels can help. Avoid the blends with green or black tea. Other forms of flowers or flavourings are acceptable. Try going for labels like “infusions”, which implies absence of tea leaves. Only source from experts. TE-A-ME Chamomile infusion Tea is made using 100% Egyptian Chamomile flowers.
The benefits of drinking chamomile tea with 100% chamomile flowers are:
- Muscle relaxation: Helps in post exercise or menstrual cramps.
- Restfulness: Helps those struggling with mild insomnia, restlessness, anxiety, stress.
- Relief from Flu: Struggling with seasonal cough & cold? Brew some chamomile tea, it helps you breathe better and relaxes stressed facial and nasal muscles.
- Inflammation: Chamomile tea helps and supports body while it fights other external infections and helps control the side effects like inflammation.
- Use Tea Bags: After brewing your tea, freeze the tea bags and you can use these to soothe stressed and tired eyes or even bring relief to mild skin irritations.